Tunica National Golf & Tennis Club (Tunica) and Reunion Golf & Country Club (Madison) Earn Acclaim
(JACKSON, Mississippi) – The Mississippi Development Authority today announces that Tunica National Golf & Tennis Club and Reunion Golf & Country Club were recently chosen as two of Golf Inc. Magazine’s top five new developments in the magazine’s "Development of the Year 2005" awards.
A daily fee course, Tunica National features an 18-hole Mark McCumber-designed public golf course, six-hole par-3 practice course, 20,000-square-foot clubhouse, circular driving range and Golf Training Academy in Tunica, the popular golf-and-gaming destination just south of Memphis.
Reunion Golf & Country Club is a private, 18-hole, Bob Cupp-designed championship golf course that stretches more than 7,400 yards. In addition to a world-class golf course, the development features the Reunion Athletic Club, which supports a host of fitness and recreational activities.
The other three golf developments honored by Golf Inc. for their excellence include Trump National Golf Club (Bedminster, NJ), Gillette Ridge Golf Club (Bloomfield, CT) and Hamlet Willow Creek Golf Club (Mt. Sinai, NY).
"This is a great honor for Mississippi golf courses and further recognition of the great golf-and-gaming destination that is our state," says D. Craig Ray, Mississippi Development Authority Tourism Division Director.
The courses will be recognized in the November issue of Golf Inc., and their developers and architects will be honored at the Golf Inc. Conference at La Quinta Resort in Palm Springs, CA, in April 2006.
Tunica, an area where cotton, rice, soybean fields and catfish ponds still thrive, is "The South’s Casino Capital." Located 30 minutes south of Memphis, Tunica welcomes more than 10 million visitors annually to its nine world-class casino resorts, with more than 6,300 hotel rooms, over 40 restaurants, championship golf, outdoor recreation, museums, outlet and antique shopping, and much more. For travel information, please visit the Tunica website at www.tunicamiss.com or call Tunica at 1-888-4TUNICA.
About Mississippi Golf
Attractions contributing to Mississippi’s growing popularity as the preferred golf-and-travel destination include:
* Great year-round weather and direct flights from major carriers;
* Nearly 150 courses that offer all price points and design varieties in five distinct regions;
* New and existing courses designed by top golf course architects that garner national recognition;
* More affordable courses than most other comparable U.S. golf destinations;
* World-famous gourmet cuisine, blues music, and luxurious casino resorts offering star-studded shows;
* Family-themed attractions offering parks, beaches and children’s activities;
* Widespread acclaim from the annual PGA Tour’s Southern Farm Bureau Classic tournament held in the state capital, Jackson;
* History and architecture, including stunning Antebellum Era mansions turned award-winning B&B venues.
A free Golf Mississippi Travel Guide and more information is available by calling 1-866-801-8551 or visiting www.visitmississippi.org.