NBC Sports Next’s Better Together Initiative to Provide Two High Schoolers with College Tuition Support and Continued Access to Golf
ORLANDO, Fla. (May 26, 2022) – NBC Sports Next, the technology and innovation division of NBC Sports, today joined Youth on Course to award high schoolers Magnus Shipinski from Elmwood Park, Ill., and Angel Lopez from Royal Oaks, Calif., with a $20,000 scholarship each to assist with college tuition.
The annual NBC Sports Next scholarship program with Youth on Course is in its second year and continues to bolster the partnership between the organizations to help grow the game of golf by creating more access to the sport for youth. As part of its Better Together community impact initiative, NBC Sports Next has helped raise more than $1.5 million for Youth on Course since December 2020.
Both Shipinski and Lopez will receive the $20,000 award as $5,000 payments for each year they are enrolled at their intended university.
Magnus Shipinski (Elmwood Park, Ill.)
- Intended University/Major: DePaul University; Film & Television
- Academics: Graduating with a weighted GPA of 4.3
- Athletics: Played for his high school golf team and caddied for two summers at Oak Park Country Club in River Forest, Ill.
- Extracurriculars: Eagle Scout, Rotary Youth Interact Club Vice President, Rotary Youth Interact Club President, NHS Induction, NHS Vice President, DECA Vice President, Culture Club Activity Chairmen, Culture Club President, Thespian Troupe Publicist, Illinois Thespian State Officer, Youth on Course DRIVE Club Member, YOC Leadership Council Member
Angel Lopez (Royal Oaks, Calif.)
- Intended University/Major: California Polytechnic State University; Agricultural Engineering
- Academics: Graduating with a weighted GPA of 4.2
- Athletics: Played for his high school golf team; club soccer
- Extracurriculars: Watsonville High School Honor Roll/Principal’s List, California FFA Association State Finals Farm Power 5th High Team, California FFA Association State Finals Cotton Judging Test 5th High Individual, Monterey Bay Section FFA Co-Ops Marketing Team 2nd Place Individual, Monterey Bay Section FFA Prepared Public Speaking Competition 1st Place Individual, Watsonville FFA Chapter President, Monterey Bay Section FFA President
“These two young individuals have demonstrated initiative and leadership, and we are honored to help them further their education to achieve their goals,” said Jerramy Hainline, SVP & General Manager, Golf, NBC Sports Next. “Our partnership with Youth on Course is about providing more access to kids everywhere, especially those who may not have the financial means. If we can help ease that financial burden for the next generation of golfers, we’ve done something all of us can be proud of.”
“NBC Sports Next continues to lead by example,” said Youth on Course CEO Adam Heieck. “The support of Magnus and Angel through the Youth on Course scholarship program will help ensure these incredible young people flourish in their college years. Access to an affordable college education is an important part of our organization and we’re honored to have NBC Sports Next as an integral partner.”
The continued support from the golf brands of NBC Sports Next, GolfNow and GolfPass, contributes to Youth on Course’s mission to provide youth with access to life-changing opportunities on and off the course. GolfNow and GolfPass are committed to providing added resources that facilitate accessibility to golf for young people through initiatives, such as the GolfNow “Round Up” campaign, launched in December 2020, which helps raise funds to support subsidies for rounds of golf; complimentary GolfPass video subscriptions for YOC members; and through the scholarship program. This collaboration continues to take major steps toward ensuring the vitality of golf as a recreational alternative for kids, as well as using technology to create more affordable and equal access to the sport for youth in all socio-economic circumstances.
About Youth on Course
The core purpose of Youth on Course is to help young people grow and succeed both on and off the course by providing opportunities to play, learn, grow, and build relationships through affordable, inclusive access to play. More than 130,000 members play more than 1,700 golf courses for $5 or less, benefit from career opportunities through the caddie and internship program and receive college scholarships. Headquartered in Pebble Beach, Youth on Course is a 501(c)3 organization that began as the charitable arm of the Northern California Golf Association. Since 2006, more than one million subsidized rounds have been played by Youth on Course members and more than $2 million has been awarded in college scholarships. Across North America, Youth on Course serves all of the United States of America and parts of Canada.
About NBC Sports Next
NBC Sports Next is a subdivision of NBC Sports and home to all NBCUniversal digital applications in sports and technology within its three groups: Youth & Recreational Sports, Golf, and Betting & Gaming. NBC Sports Next, known for its sports technology product innovation, equips more than 30MM players, coaches, athletes, sports administrators and fans in 40 countries with more than 25 sports solution products, including SportsEngine, a youth sports club, league and team management platform; TeamUnify, swim team management services; GoMotion, sports and fitness business software solutions; TourneyMachine, tournament management solutions for youth sports; GolfNow, the leading online tee time marketplace and provider of golf course operations technology and services; GolfPass the ultimate golf membership that connects golfers to exclusive content, tee time credits, coaching, tips and other benefits; and NBC Sports Edge, a leading platform for fantasy sports information and betting-focused tools. NBC Sports Next is fueled by its mission to innovate, create larger-than-life events and connect with sports fans through technology to provide the ultimate in immersive experiences.
NBC Sports Next