MYRTLE BEACH, S.C. — The field for the 37th annual PlayGolfMyrtleBeach.com World Amateur Handicap Championship is set, and the 72-hole tournament will be played Aug. 31 – Sept. 4.
More than 2,100 players from all 50 states will participate in the World Am, which has implemented vigorous social distancing regulations to help provide a safe environment for event participants.
The World Am will utilize 31 different courses each day and there will be approximately 72 players on each layout, separated into two 36-player flights. Each player will ride in his or her own golf cart and pins will be left in the hole, among many other adjustments, to help combat the spread of COVID-19.
The biggest change at this year’s event isn’t on the course. For the first time in World Am history, there will be no World’s Largest 19th Hole. Tournament participants and their guests typically gather each night at the Myrtle Beach Convention Center to enjoy free and drink, live entertainment and a golf expo, but the 19th Hole is on a one-year hiatus.
In place of having players gather at the convention center, tournament organizers will produce a virtual 19th hole, a daily, 30-minute program hosted by golf media personality Charlie Rymer. The virtual 19th Hole will be broadcast via Facebook, Instagram and Twitter and will include tournament video, player features and special guests, helping provide the sense of community the event is renowned for.
“This year’s tournament will be different, but players will enjoy a safe atmosphere and the opportunity to compete over 72 holes,” said Scott Tomasello, tournament director for Golf Tourism Solutions, the company that runs the event. “The World Am is the ‘Every Man’s Major’ and we look forward to providing players the chance to earn the title of world champion.”
The World Am flights players into nine divisions – men 49 and under, senior men (50-59), mid-senior men (60-69), super senior men (70-79), seasoned seniors (80+), women, the gross division, senior (50+) gross division. There is also a “Just For Fun” flight, created for players who want to enjoy the World Am experience without the pressure of competition.
At the conclusion of the fourth round, all flight winners and ties will advance to the World Championship Playoff, an 18-hole shootout to determine the tournament champion.
In addition to golf, players will also receive a gift bag that includes a polo, a pullover, a golf towel, a logo’d hat, a PGA Tour Superstore gift card and an assortment of other goodies valued cumulatively at $250.
Included among the changes for this year’s tournament are:
- The biggest change at this year’s event will be the one-year hiatus for the World’s Largest 19th Hole, which usually serves as the event’s social hub, providing players free food, drinks, live entertainment and more.
- All participants will have their own cart for each tournament round.
- There will be no more than 72 golfers at each course (approx. 36 players per flight*).
- A tee time window in threesomes will be instituted.
- Range balls will be provided on a complimentary basis, and placed on respective ranges to eliminate touch points.
- No spectators will be allowed at any course.
- During the tournament week, each golf course will follow all federal guidelines as determined by the CDC by that time.
For more information, visit www.MyrtleBeachWorldAmateur.com.