COBRA® GOLF INTRODUCES NEW KING MIM WEDGES FOR A NEW STANDARD IN SOFTNESS AND PRECISION-SHAPING
COBRA® Golf, a leader in golf club innovation, unveiled today its new KING MIM Wedges, the first in golf to feature a fully Metal-Injection-Molded (MIM) 304 stainless steel head construction. The MIM process represents a significant advancement in wedge manufacturing, delivering the most precise shape possible for truly exceptional feel and turf interaction in every wedge COBRA manufactures.
Unlike forged wedges, MIM manufacturing reduces the amount of post-process polishing, where in the past, there was a heavy reliance on skilled machinists to grind consistent wedge shapes by hand. Each wedge is created using a mixture of 304 stainless steel metal powder, which is then heated and injected into a mold. Using a sintering process, the metal is heated to a higher temperature than forging (1340°C vs. 1200°C), resulting in a more even grain structure than forged and cast wedges and the softest feel the industry’s ever seen. In addition to being the first metal injection molded wedges, the KING MIM Wedges are the first in golf to utilize a fully robotic polishing process where the robot is pre-programmed to polish each wedge to exact specifications – a sharp contrast to the variability found in the traditional manual hand-polishing process. This fully automated process eliminates variance in head weight and thickness and creates more precise grind shapes and more predictable bounce in each wedge.
“At COBRA Golf, we work to create new products that offer a tangible benefit to our consumers. Our innovative manufacturing processes work to reduce variables, helping golfers have a more consistent, improved game,” said Tom Olsavsky, Vice President of R&D for COBRA Golf. “The KING MIM Wedges are astonishingly soft and precise, to give golfers the best performance in their short games.”
In addition to the MIM process and Fully Robotic Polishing process, the new KING MIM Wedges are constructed with the following game boosting technologies:
- Versatile Tour Wedge Grind – This grind, also utilized by Rickie Fowler in his custom ground wedges on Tour, provides additional toe-relief for optimal versatility. You can easily open the face to execute a delicate flop or close the face to hit a bump and run as needed.
- Precision CNC Milled Face & Grooves – A fully CNC milled face maximizes surface roughness and delivers precise lofts and groove shapes to optimize trajectory and spin performance.
- Radial CNC Milling Pattern – The circular milling pattern helps to maximize spin on softer shots where the ball doesn’t go as deep into the grooves. In addition, the position of the radial milling pattern is intended to help golfers better identify the SWEET ZONE™ for puring their wedges.
- Progressive Spin Technology™ – Progressive groove shapes are CNC milled to optimize performance for each wedge loft. The weaker lofts feature wider, shallower grooves, and the stronger lofts feature narrower, deeper grooves to deliver consistent spin from wedge-to-wedge.
- Premium Chrome Finish – Chrome plating facilitates long lasting durability and provides a classic aesthetic.
- COBRA CONNECT – The COBRA CONNECT, Powered by Arccos™ system features electronically enabled Golf Pride Tour Velvet grips that work in conjunction with the Arccos Caddie app to give users the ability to track their wedge stats, and learn their tendencies so they can practice more effectively.
The KING MIM Wedge is offered in 50, 52, 54, 56, 58 and 60 degree lofts, all in Versatile Grind. Each KING MIM wedge features a black Golf Pride Tour Velvet CONNECT grip and an aftermarket KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 (125g) shaft.
The KING MIM Wedges will be available April 12, 2019 with a MAP price of $149 per wedge. For more information on the COBRA KING MIM wedges and all of COBRA’s innovative new products for 2019, visit www.cobragolf.com.
About COBRA PUMA GOLF
COBRA PUMA GOLF is a corporate division of PUMA, one of the world’s leading sports brands, designing, developing, selling and marketing footwear, apparel and accessories. COBRA PUMA GOLF is an inclusive company, promoting game enjoyment for golfers of all abilities, attitudes and styles. The brands full-range portfolio includes COBRA Golf’s high-performance drivers, fairways, hybrids, wedges and irons, as well as PUMA Golf’s sport lifestyle inspired footwear, apparel and accessories. Fusing performance and style, COBRA PUMA GOLF brings a focus on innovation, technology, compelling design and superior performance with an edge to the global golf marketplace. For more information, visit cobragolf.com and cobragolf.com/pumagolf.
Rachel Rees, COBRA PUMA GOLF, email@example.com, cell: 760.710.7434
Jared Kelowitz, JDPR, firstname.lastname@example.org, cell: 864.901.2957