Golf Yeah Interview with Donald Ross Society President
Covers Legendary Architect’s Impact on Golf; Brad Becken’s Odyssey to Play Ross Courses
News Feed Slug: Golf Yeah Podcast Features Donald Ross Society President Brad Becken
Golf Yeah – the podcast and website that showcases people who’ve built successful companies and careers based on their love for the game – has just published its interview with Bradford Becken, the current President of the Donald Ross Society, who has played 367 Ross-designed courses over the past 8 years.
In his discussion with Golf Yeah, Becken provides some little-known fact and insights into the life and work of Donald Ross. For example:
- During the first three decades of the 20th century, Ross employed 30 building crews and 2,500 men, who were responsible for the design and construction of more than 380 of his courses.
- Ross’s reputation as an architect was so strong that he solicited projects on only two occasions over the course of his career. One of those projects he won: Seminole Golf Club in Florida. The other project he lost to Alister Mackenzie: Augusta National Golf Club in Georgia…which he considered his greatest disappointment.
- Donald Ross never got to see many of the completed golf courses that he designed.
- Unlike most of his competitors, Ross’s hole design did not repeat from course to course. Each course design was original, and took advantage of the existing landscape. Ross’s design philosophy was that golf should be a pleasure, not a penance.
Commenting on the Becken interview, Golf Yeah’s Podcast Host and Editor, Gordon G. Andrew, said that, “The average golfer has a cursory knowledge of Donald Ross, but very few have an appreciation of the enormous impact this one man has had on the game of golf in America. The Donald Ross Society is dedicated to maintaining his legacy, as well as the architectural integrity of courses that Ross designed. Brad Becken does a great job of telling the Donald Ross story.”
In addition to Brad Becken, recent Golf Yeah podcast guests have included:
- Green Jacket Auctions co-owner, Ryan Carey
- Veteran Sportswriter & Author, Hank Gola
- Shivas Irons Society Executive Director, Ben Kline
- Golf course Photographer, Evan Schiller
- Rutgers University Turf Management Expert, Professor William A. Meyer
To listen to those and other podcast interviews, and to subscribe to its future podcasts free of charge, visit www.golfyeah.com. To suggest an individual who might be an interesting Golf Yeah podcast guest, contact firstname.lastname@example.org or call (908) 879-3800.
Gordon G. Andrew