KAUA‘I GOLF COURSES HONORED BY GOLFWEEK
Kaua‘i’s spectacular collection of golf courses were recently honored by Golfweek in the publication’s annual Best Golf Courses rankings of Hawai‘i and the nation’s finest golf properties.
In Golfweek’s 2019 “Best Courses You Can Play, State-by-State” list, Golfweek’spanel of course raters named four Kaua‘i courses among the 15 best courses in Hawai‘i, including Princeville Makai Golf Club at No. 4, Poipu Bay Golf Course at No. 6, The Ocean Course at Hokuala at No. 11, and Wailua Golf Course at No. 14. Kaua‘i (four courses) and Maui (four courses) had the most courses listed of any Hawaiian island.
In Golfweek’s newly published Best 2019: Top 200 Resort Courses in the United States list, Kaua‘i had three courses listed among the top 150, including Princeville Makai Golf Club (Princeville Resort) at No. 54, Poipu Bay Golf Course (Grand Hyatt Kauai Resort & Spa) at No. 85, and The Ocean Course at Hokuala (Timbers Resort Kaua‘i) at No. 145.
“With the island’s collection of award-winning golf courses and resorts, Kaua‘i has become a top destination for golfers,” said Sue Kanoho, Executive Director of the Kaua‘i Visitors Bureau. “We are honored and humbled by Golfweek’s recognition of these incredible golf courses.”
All five Go Golf Kaua‘i courses exemplify the stunning views and exceptional golf found on the island. Nicknamed the Garden Isle for its lush tropical foliage, waterfalls and ever-present Pacific Ocean scenery, Kaua‘i is perennially recognized for its beaches, award-winning golf courses, ideal playing weather and stunning natural beauty. The Go Golf Kaua‘i courses include:
- Poipu Bay Golf Course – Poipu Bay Golf Course was designed by renowned golf course architect Robert Trent Jones Jr and is set between lush mountains and rugged ocean bluffs. The course incorporates more than 30 acres of colorfully landscaped tropical plants and flowers, making it one of Hawaii’s most beautiful courses. Poipu Bay hosted the PGA Grand Slam of Golf from 1994 to 2006.
- Puakea Golf Course – Designed by architect Robin Nelson, Puakea is a spectacular layout built along massive ravines and lush tropical undulating terrain, with the backdrop being used for the Jurassic Park series. Named one of the top courses in Hawaii by Sports Illustrated, Golf Advisor and Golfweek, the dramatic 18-hole golf course is also known for its high-quality, “Kauai-style” customer service. Puakea was rated “Best of Kauai” by Garden Island Newspaper from 2013 – 2018.
- Princeville Makai Golf Club – Princeville Makai Golf Club opened in 1971 as the first solo effort of Robert Trent Jones, Jr. The course was completely renovated in 2009, introducing spectacular new Seashore Paspalum turf grass on all fairways and greens. Princeville Makai features surreal vistas of Bali Hai and Hanalei Bay, including the signature par-3, 7th hole that offers a 213-yard shot over scenic cliffs.
- The Ocean Course at Hokuala – The Ocean Course at Hokuala is a Jack Nicklaus Signature Course that boasts the longest stretch of oceanfront holes in all of Hawaii. The picture-perfect course winds its way through papaya and guava groves to dramatic seaside cliffs. A 2016 renovation added sparkling white sand to all the bunkers, framing holes to be even more spectacular than before. Rated Hawaii’s Best Golf Course, 2018 World Golf Awards, golfers can also surf the earth on Hokuala’s Golf Boards during their round.
- Wailua Golf Course – Wailua Golf Course offers classic, golden-era seaside golf holes just a few steps from the Pacific Ocean. First built as a 9-hole course in the 1930’s, and expanded to 18 holes in 1961, Wailua has hosted three USGA Amateur and three US Public Links Championships. This wonderful municipal layout was designed by Toyo Shirai and features stunning mountain views along the Coconut Coast.
For more information on Kaua‘i golf, visit www.gogolfkauai.com.
Rob Myers, 602.317.6131, email@example.com