The Pizá Golf team unlocks the potential of a golf course in need of a renovation with their Philosophy and Methodology
PUERTO VALLARTA, MEXICO – Pizá Golf, recognized internationally for their innovative approach to golf course architecture which blends traditional British fundamentals with contemporary innovative designs from North America – reveals its ingenuity and out-of-the box approach to creating award winning renovations with its ‘Reassessment Techniques.’
Pizá Golf Founder and principal architect Agustin Pizá has earned a reputation for designing strategic but artistic renovations. He blends science with art. His formal architectural golf course training is steeped in agronomics, engineering, construction, and water-works which contributes directly to the quality of Pizá Golf’s build-outs. However, it is his artistic aptitude and ability to challenge the creative curtain that makes him an out-of-the box doer, not an out-of-the box thinker.
“Reassessment to us is more than a word or re-evaluation. It’s more like re-imagining the entire project on multi-levels to maximize its potential. These techniques help to challenge me and our team,” said Pizá.
Pizá Golf ‘Reassessment Techniques’ include:
- Creating dialog with nature
- Homage to the beauty surrounding the golf course
- Sustainability – ecological, economic and social
- What if? Tangibles and Intangibles
- Aesthetic and strategic turf removal
- Multi-purpose golf feasibility study
- Inclusive to new and non-golfers (Real important during and post virus)
- ROI options
Pizá and his team can take a standard renovation and elevate an entire project by respecting these ‘Reassessment Techniques.’ A great example is the renovation at Cabo San Lucas Country Club in Los Cabos, Mexico.
Pizá and his team were commissioned by management to repair holes ten through 16 which were destroyed by the tropical storm Lidia. The entire renovation needed to be completed quickly – in six months or less and on budget. Time limitations, as well as budgets, could have thwarted the overall project but instead it became a pictorial of untapped potential.
- For inclusive purposes, the par-4 10th hole was shortened so players of all levels could reach the putting green in regulation. Skilled players will find this hole fun as it is drivable. However, strategically positioned bunkers come into play on the right. The restructured hole plays tactically more difficult but also saved acreage which was used for an entirely new 11th
- In homage to the beauty of San Lucas, this new short par-3 was designed to face Land’s End, the international famous rock formation that protrudes from the ocean. The hole appears undemanding but the expanded putting green is perilous with its dramatic, undulating surface which tests every putt.
- The previous par-4 11th is now the 12th It has been lengthened to a challenging but fair par-5. Tucked around the lagoon are holes 13 and 14 which have been remodeled and feature rolling fairways that lead to spacious putting greens. Each requires playing target golf – risk and reward.
- To provide an area dedicated to a multi-purpose pitch and putt, the previous par-4 15th was eliminated. The new 15th was repositioned perfectly to follow the 14th and the tee boxes are nestled next to the lagoon. “Utilizing a multi-purpose pitch and putt will appeal to new and non-golfers as well as create a discretionary revenue stream,” added Pizá.
- Again, the natural asset of the Sea of Cortez, motivated Pizá to design the par-5 hole towards the stunning views so the hole was entirely reversed. Now, golfers play into stunning views.
“I am proud to say we reassessed, reimagined, and we rejoiced. This might be one of our favorite renovations. Plus management is thrilled. Their golfers LOVE the redesign and our commitment to turf reduction has decreased their maintenance costs by 22% within our renovated holes,” added Pizá.
About Pizá Golf Founder – Arch. Agustin Pizá, MSc:
Award-winning architect Agustin has earned a Bachelor of Architecture degree from ITESM and a Master’s Degree in Golf Course Architecture from Edinburgh University in Scotland. He is a proud member of both the European Institute and the American Society of Golf Course Architects. For 22 years, Pizá has worked with legends of the game and world-class golf developments. His designs are known for delivering quality, aesthetic and strategic golf courses.
Pizá Golf has been recognized with many international accolades and has garnered a reputation for “Re-defining Golf Facilities” with their concepts – Wellness Golf and Lounge Golf. Pizá and the company have worked and have been involved in more than 60 projects on three continents.
Pizá has been published in 13 countries and some highlights include: Forbes, Golf Digest, Mexico and Spain, Expansión Magazine, Obras Magazine, Canadian Golf Magazine and Golf Course Architecture Magazine, England.
Pizá proudly represents the following companies:
- Cadillac Mexico
- IWC Schaffhausen
- The Kingdom – TaylorMade Golf
- Maui Jim
For more information on Pizá Golf, please visit the company website: www.pizagolf.com
# # #
Vanessa Marie Price
Read the Greens GOLF Media (714) 544-6515